SAND CREEK, Arizona–Firefighters took drastic measures in battling an out-of-control blaze at a mid-town housing complex early this morning, but their efforts proved fruitless as the structure was completely destroyed.
By the time crews arrived on the scene the upper level of the building was almost entirely engulfed in flames, leading Sand Creek Fire Chief Vance Wright to take a unique approach in an effort to get the blaze under control.
“When we arrived, the top two flights of stairs were burning,” Wright recounted, “Most of our crew is a little afraid of heights, and that’s a ten story building. I knew I was gonna have to think outside the box on this one.”
Wright hatched a daring plan in which he directed his men to douse the bottom floors with gasoline and set them ablaze, then they allowed the fire to spread to the upper floors until it came into contact with the flames above.
“We’ve all heard of fighting fire with fire,” Wright explained, “I decided to put it to the test. In theory, it should have worked.”
Instead, the building erupted into a raging inferno resulting in hundreds of thousands of dollars in property damage and dozens of homeless families.
“Definitely a learning experience,” Wright admitted, “In the future, I’ll probably just refer to my firefighter’s manual, instead of vague colloquialisms, when battling these kinds of fires. We’ll just call that one a training exercise.”